MHG43580 - Mill dam and sluice, Little Rogart
A mill dam and sluice depicted, along with the mill pond, on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map. Part of the dam wall was still visible in 1995.
Type and Period (2)
- MILL DAM (Constructed, 16th Century to 19th Century - 1560 AD? to 1873 AD (at some time))
- SLUICE (Constructed, 16th Century to 19th Century - 1560 AD? to 1873 AD (at some time))
- None recorded
A quarry and part of a mill dam are visible beside a knoll on the E of the Garbh-allt. The quarry has been dug into the SE of the knoll and the stub of a dam-wall runs from the W side of the quarry pit. The stone dyke that encloses Little Rogart cuts across the quarry-pit. The dam and the adjacent mill-pond are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherlandshire 1879, sheet civ).
Visited by RCAHMS (PJD) 6 July 1995 <1>
Mill dam & sluice both marked on 1st ed OS. <2><3>
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 124416.
- <2> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist. 02/2004.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-4. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Sutherland (surveyed 1868-73).
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7311 0327 (27m by 33m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/124416 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.