MHG2828 - Possible Henge, Loch Flemington
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HENGE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
(Name: NH 8118 5234) Site of Flemish Camp (NR)
OS 6" map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1906)
There are what are supposed to be the traces of a Flemish camp at Loch Flemington.
The site of this camp is situated at the side of Loch Flemington, at its eastern end, and in front of the houses of Lochside. The marks of the different camps up to a few years ago were visible, but the ground has been ploughed up and is now under crop.
Name Book 1870.
There are no extant remains of anything resembling hut circles, enclosures, or a camp in the area centred at NH 8118 5234, which is arable ground.
Visited by OS (R D) 13 August 1964.
NH 812 523. Air photography has revealed the crop-mark of what may be a small Class II henge lying between the NE end of Loch Flemington and the public road. Oval on plan, it measures about 17m from NE to SW by at least 14m transversely within a ditch about 2m broad which is interrupted by gaps about 2m wide on the NE and SW. The public road has destroyed part of the NW arc of the ditch. This site may be the 'Flemish camp' noted by the previous authorities.
RCAHMS 1979; Visible on RCAHMS air photograph IN 2654: flown 1976.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 14, Inverness-shire, 392.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 14, No. 81.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Harding and Lee, A F and G E. 1987. Henge monuments and related sites of Great Britain: air photographic evidence and catalogue. Brit Ser. 175. 374, No. 275.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 55, 24.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8124 5239 (60m by 60m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:6694 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM6694 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15231 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.