MHG2843 - Flint Axehead, Moy Hall Estate
Findspot of flint axehead.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
Centred at 76 35
A flint axehead from Moy Hall Estate (Mall Hall: NH 768 350) is in RMS(NMAS) (Acc No: AF 1035).
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1969.
Local information about the find is that it was found on the track behind the Moy Hall kennels (now demolished).
Highly polished stone axehead. Possibly flint: needs to looked at by geologists to confirm identification. Reworked, slender axehead or possibly a broadish chisel. Along the edges are tiny areas where the original faceted sides remain. Where the original front and back surfaces remain, it's clear that the mid-part of the 'front' had a gentle ridge running along it, from where it had been ground smooth and polished. The re-working has consisted of fairly extensive flaking to its butt end and sides. The blade is in pristine condition. Length: 119.6mm; max. Width: 44.2 mm; max. Thickness: 27.1 mm. Original length perhaps c. 121mm.
Flint axeheads of this nature are rare in the Highlands (and in Scotland in general). The closest parallel is the axehead from Craggie Nairn. Date c. 3800-3000BC.
Information from Alison Sheridan, NMS. <1>
NMS catalogue describes this axehead to be polished at cutting edge and along centre of each face. <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1969. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 100 1967-8, p.201-5. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 201-5. 201, No. 7.
- <1> Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2011. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Strathdearn. Yes. Digital. Site 1.
- <2> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. AF 1035.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7600 3499 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||MOY AND DALAROSSIE|
- POLISHED AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14104 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.