MHG28444 - Achnaluachrach
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NC60NE 33 6795 0986
The overgrown remains of this building are situated in waste ground to the E of Achnaluachrach farmsteading. The main part of the building, which is completely filled with rubble, measures 13.2m E to W by 4.2m over walls up to 0.5m high. Attached to its W end is an extension 7.7m in length and 4.2m in breadth over walls 0.7m thick. The interior of the extension, now overgrown with rushes, has been divided into two compartments.
The building is depicted, roofed and identified as a school, on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1879, sheet xcv). It is described in the ONB as 'a schoolhouse one storey high, thatched and in fair repair... The education taught is confined to the ordinary branches, the daily average attendance is about twenty and it is supported by school fees together with a donation of ten pounds yearly given by His Grace the Duke of Sutherland'.
Visited by RCAHMS (SDB) 5 July 1995
Name Book 1879
|Grid reference||Centred NC 6794 0986 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/129294 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.