MHG28445 - Achnaluachrach
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NC61SE 14 6727 1006
This farmstead is situated towards the W end of the improved pasture attached to the present farmsteading of Achnaluachrach. It comprises the robbed remains of one building, which has measured 25.5m in length by 4.2m transversely within walls 0.8m thick and standing at most 1m high, with a wing at the ENE end, extending 5.9m to the NNW. The interior of the main building is divided into two compartments, each with an entrance in the SSE side wall; there may have been a second partition, defining a third compartment, towards the WSW end, but a thick covering of snow on the date of the visit prevented a proper examination of this.
The site is depicted as an L-shaped roofed building on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1879, sheet xcv) where it is named Achadh na Luachrach. The Name Book describes this site together with the present farm to the E as 'two small farms and a school. The houses are thatched and in middling repair'. The school referred to is described under NC60NE 33 and the E farmstead noted under NC60NE 13.
Visited by RCAHMS (SDB) 8 March 1995
Name Book 1879 <1><2>
Recorded as a probable shepherd's house during walkover survey in March 2010. The eastern corner of the well preserved stone wall footing remains of a probable shepherd’s house is situated to the SE of a sheepfold. It comprises robust boulders, especially in its gables, measuring up to 0.7m in size and there are only a maximum of two courses remaining. The gables stand 0.7m high and are 1m thick and the side walls stand only 0.5m high and are 0.7m thick. The main building measures 26m x 4m and is divided into two compartments, both with doorways on the SE frontage. <3>
Shown as un unroofed building on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map. <4>
<1> Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 32, 196 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3364.
<2> Ordnance Survey, 1878, Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Sutherland (Image/Map). SHG23446.
<3> Lindsay, N, 04/2010, Achnaluachrach, Rogart, Sutherland: A Report on an Archaeological Walk-Over Survey, Feature 3 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG24903.
<4> Ordnance Survey, 1906, Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 6 inch map: Sutherland (Image/Map). SHG23733.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 32, 196.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1878. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Sutherland. Digital.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Lindsay, N. 04/2010. Achnaluachrach, Rogart, Sutherland: A Report on an Archaeological Walk-Over Survey. Unaffiliated. Feature 3.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1906. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 6 inch map: Sutherland. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 6727 1008 (26m by 37m) (Mastermap)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/129300 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.