MHG28515 - West Langwell
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NC60NE 64 6949 0905
There are two ruined buildings, fragments of a third, and a small hut amongst the occupied houses at W end of West Langwell.
The first building (ROG95 795) is situated on N side of public road at NC 6949 0905. It measures 10m length and 2.7m breadth within faced-rubble walls which stand 1.5m high. There are entrances in SSW side and ESE end, both of them blocked. About 55m to SE, in a field on S side of road, there is another building (ROG95 796). This building measures 6.2m E-W by 3.4m transversely within faced-rubble walls which stand 1.4m high. It has an entrance in S side, in which a wooden doorpost survives.
There are traces of a third building about 15m to N of first one, and about 100m to NW of that, close to a garden fence, there is a ruined hut built of drystone rubble (ROG95 794). The three buildings appear roofed on 1st ed OS 6-inch map map (Sutherland 1879, sheet xcvi) amongst others which have since been demolished or replaced. The Name Book describes West Langwell as 'a small district ... tenanted by small crofters. The dwelling houses are one story high, with suitable out offices, the whole are thatched and in fair repair'.
Visited by RCAHMS (SDB) 5 July 1995
|Grid reference||Centred NC 6948 0905 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/130314 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.