MHG2854 - Bridge of Faillie
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
Bridge of Faillie (NAT)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1905)
A substantial stone bridge of one arch built by General Wade.
Name Book 1871.
The military bridge of Faillie lay fifty yards west of the present bridge.
J B Salmond 1938.
The OS 6"map, 1st ed., 1867 shows the Bridge of Faillie in its present position.
Information from S Willy to OS, 9 July 1963.
A substantial stone bridge of one arch in a good state of repair. The bridge is 4.7m wide at its centre over side walls 0.9m high and 0.3m thick. On the north bank of the Nairn 42m west of the above bridge is the end of a causeway 7.0m wide and 2.0m high. At the base of it some large stones are exposed suggesting the remains of an abutment. Salmond's statement (Salmond 1938) is probably based on this, but on the south bank of the river there is nothing to be seen of any remains of a possible bridge
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7120 3801 (50m by 50m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DAVIOT AND DUNLICHITY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB1683 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.kweimar.de/Bilder_XML.php?ket=HL341 (View photographs and information on Scottish Highland Bridges website)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14126 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.