MHG28623 - Structure at Caolas Eilean na Saille - Tanera More
Structure, Caolas Eilean na Saille, Tanera More
Type and Period (1)
- STRUCTURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A subrectangular drystone structure, located at the base of a crag on the W coast of Tannera More, was recorded during a pre-afforestation survey by Headland Archaeology (NMRS MS 899/80, no.3). Constructed of large and often irregularly shaped stones against the crag on the E, the structure measures 8m from E to W by 4.5m with a 1m wide entrance at the E side of the N wall. The longer walls bow slightly outwards whilst the upper courses lean inwards.
L Baker and C Moloney (Headland Archaeology) 24 April 1998; NMRS MS 899/80, no.3 <1>
The North of Scotland Archaeological Society surveyed Tanera Mor in October 2007.
Site 8. Caolas Eilean na Saille Structure. This structure is on the exposed west coast of the Island and just 20m from the rocky shoreline which is to the west. It is a substantial sub rectangular structure on a NNW-SSE axis with internal dimensions 8m x 4m and abuts a crag to the S. The walls are roughly constructed of angular unhewn stones and are generally 1.5m in height. They are 1m thick at the base, tapering to 0.5m at the top, straight faced internally but roughly battered externally. There is an entrance in the SE quadrant of 1m width. <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 aerial photographs. <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Baker, L. & Molony, C.. 1998. Forestry Survey: Tanera More, Ross & Cromarty. Headland Archaeology Ltd. 24/04/1998. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M.. 2017. Report (incomplete) of an Archaeological Survey of the Island of Tanera Mor by members of NOSAS - Saturday, 20th October 2007. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.10 Site 8.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009.
|Grid reference||Centred NB 9811 0813 (8m by 9m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/132825 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.