MHG28705 - Ardtornish Estate, estate power station
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- POWER STATION (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1560 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
The concrete power house is situated in the N corner of Ardtornish Estate Yard. It is labelled Electric Station on a plan of “Drainage at Ardtornish, 1909. (Ardtornish Estate Archives) The turbine was powered by a water supply from the dam and reservoir at Craigbhea, NM 7064 4743. (See SMR NM74NW0027) The turbine is still in situ as well as a massive free-standing slate-backed switchboard. (Info from Mr. Angus Robertson, Ardtornish Estate) The building is still in use.
Field Verification Project (West Lochaber) - J Robertson, 03/2004
NM74NW 12.03 c. 705 473
For possibly-related pond, dam and sluice (NM 7064 4743 to 7071 4754), see NM74NW 20.
Concrete power house, probably early 20th century to the E, its interior tiled, the turbines in working order.
J Gifford 1992.
This building cannot be identified and located from the available map evidence.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 21 October 1998.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 7049 4729 (60m by 60m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/135225 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.