MHG28706 - Ardtornish Estate, coach-house
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- COACH HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The former coach house is on the E side of Ardtornish Estate yard and is currently in use as a garage and mechanic’s workshop. Designed by Samuel Barham and built in 1871-2, it is the earliest concrete building at Ardtornish and possibly Scotland. (Gaskell, 1968, 90) It is marked on a plan of Drainage at Ardtornish, 1909.
Field verification Project (West Lochaber|) - J Robertson, 03/2004
NM74NW 12.04 c. 704 473
The store (NM74NW 12.02) is connected by a concrete by a concrete link to the Coachhouse (by Samuel Barham, 1871), its detail similar to that of the wool store but simpler and more sparing. Again it is of concrete, perhaps the first such building in Scotland.
J Gifford 1992.
This building cannot be identified and located from the available map evidence.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 21 October 1998.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 7039 4729 (60m by 60m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/135226 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.