MHG28718 - Creag Sron Chrubaidh
No summary available.
Type and Period (3)
- (Former Type) KILN? (Undated)
- RIFLE BUTTS? (Undated)
- (Former Type) CAIRN? (Undated)
- None recorded
Created automatically by NMRS Register Utility
User: Admin, Date: Fri 10 Mar 2000
NC22SW 19 2497 2095
NC 26 20 (centre) A rapid archaeological assessment was undertaken over c 10km2 of the Inchnadamph National Nature Reserve. Features such as the ?Bone Caves? And the shielings had been recorded previously. This survey recorded evidence of post-medieval settlement and agricultural use in addition to that marked on the OS map and the remains of a prehistoric settlement and possible burial cairn:
NC 2497 2095 Kiln.
A copy of the report has been lodged with the NMRS.
J Harden 1996 <1>
Visited by the Assynt's Hidden Lives project in December 2009. An uneven rubble circular wall which may have been used as a gun butt. Thought by previous surveyors to be a modified cairn or possibly a modified kiln. It is 2.5m by 2m and 1.2m high, aligned NW/SE and is dug into the edge of a grassy mound. The walls are 0.4m thick and there is an area of collapse which may have been an entrance on the west side. <2>
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Harden, J. 1996. 'Inchnadamph (Assynt parish), survey', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1996, p.59. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 59. 59.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Cavers, G & Hudson, G. 05/2010. Assynt's Hidden Lives: An archaeological survey of the parish. AOC Archaeology Group and Historic Assynt. 01/08/2010. Digital. 133, p.129.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 2496 2094 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/136084 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.