MHG28758 - Hut circle - Glaick
A hut circle at Glaick.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A hut circle at Glaick.
NG 780 300 (centre) In the springs of 1995 and 1996 a field survey was carried out by Martin Wildgoose on the NTS Balmacara Estate. At NG 7930 2740 at the foot of a large south facing rocky outcrop, about 100m to the north of the A87 and just a few metres to the north side of the old road, (recorded as Site 11 (see MHG)), is a boulder built structure. This circular 'pen' measures 8.0m in diameter over walls 2.0m thick. There is no obvious entrance. This site is densely overgrown with bracken, and young birch trees are regenerating all over the clearing. <1>
179308 827386 Glaick PD002: The hut circle was visited by A Welti, M Wildgoose and P Dungey in 2009 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross. This was part of a degree course overseen by Aberdeen University. The site is in ancient birch woodland. The circular HC sits at the base of a rocky cliff. Without the current tree cover views would have been panoramic to S. Average interior diameter is 5.3m, exterior diam is 8.0m. Max height of wall was 0.3m. Construction of the walls is unclear. All the wall stones and the tumble are covered in moss. There was no intact walling where thickness could be measured. Part of the N wall was formed by boulders, see sketch. There is a built up old track slanting up the hillside near to this HC, from SW to NE. This may have been associated with the site. It seems to have come from the area of HCs CB001 (see MHG) and AW010 (Creag Loisgte - see MHG). <2> <3>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
GIS spatial data amended in 2018 to location as shown on 2009 APs. <4>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wildgoose, M.. 1995. An Archaeological Survey of the Balmacara Estate: Phase 2 - 1995. Dualchas Museums' Service. 06/05/1999. Digital (scanned as PDF). Site 11.
- <2> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. PD002.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. PD002.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7931 2739 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.wedigs.co.uk/ (View the WeDigs in Wester Ross Project website)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/136617 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.