MHG28830 - Wester Caulan
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- DROVE ROAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH63NE 78 From 6775 3701 to 6845 3665
NH 690 380 During January 1996, GUARD undertook a field survey at Drummossie Muir, near Inverness, in advance of proposed developments by the Pig Improvement Company Ltd.
Approximately 40% of the area designated was found to be inaccessible due to forestry or tree-fall. These areas were subsequently checked on aerial photographs at RCAHMS.
S5 NH 6775 3701 - NH 6845 3665 Droveway, leading from the B861 road to NMRS NH63NE 83 and beyond.
Sponsor: Aspinwall & Co Ltd.
K Speller 1996
This is presumably one of the tracks marked on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1871. <1>
The above grid reference would have the track ending at Wester Caulon farmstead (MHG28836), to the south of Caulon (MHG14166). On the Ordnance Survey map the track splits and leads to both. <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Speller, K. 1996. 'Drummossie Muir (Daviot and Dunlichty parish), field survey'', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1996, p.61. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 61. 61.
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-4. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Inverness. Digital.
- <2> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6774 3701 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DAVIOT AND DUNLICHITY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/137000 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.