MHG2884 - Bell Tower, Priest's Hill
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BELL TOWER (Undated)
- None recorded
A bellfry, about 3 yards square and about 40 feet high, once stood on the summit of a nearby round arable knoll between the church (of Daviot) and the Manse. Until a few years ago, when it was blown down by a storm, it was one of only two detached belfries in Scotland. The knoll on which it stood is called Cnoc an-T-Sagairt which means Priest's Hill.
Name Book 1871.
The Rev. Dr MacPherson, Daviot Manse, had no knowledge of the belfry and no information was found regarding its site. Cnoc-an t-Sagairt an east-west running ridge rather than a round knoll (see above) was perambulated without any definite result. A small pile of masonry was noted at NH 7242 3748 and at NH 7248 3950, probably the highest point of the ridge, there is a small depression c1.0m. square.
Visited by OS (W D J) 28 August 1963.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7248 3949 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DAVIOT AND DUNLICHITY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14121 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.