MHG28866 - Township - Canna, A'Chill
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Undated)
- None recorded
NG20NE 45 2695 0560
The buildings and enclosures that formed the township of Keill (A' Chill) are shown on an estate map of 1805. This was the main township on the island, and was centred on the ruins of St Columba's chapel and a free-standing sculptured cross (NG20NE 1 and NG20NE 2 respectively). The area was cleared of tenants in 1851 and no trace of the township can now be seen, although a small enclosure (NG20NE 37) is situated between two rock outcrops 40m to the S of the cross.
Visited by RCAHMS (ARG), 20 August 1996.
J L Campbell 1984.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 2695 0560 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||SMALL ISLES|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/137739 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.