MHG2890 - St. Mary's Chapel, Chapelton
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
St. Mary's Chapel (NR) (Site of)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
"St Mary's Chapel (site of)...No remains of this chapel at present exist, but its site is carefully preserved from the plough. It is said to have been dedicated to the Virgin; and though built before the Reformation, the exact date cannot be obtained.
About 25 years ago the proprietor made excavations, and disclosed the foundations of the building, besides turning up a quantity of human bones."
Name Book 1868.
On Chapelton the foundations of a chapel were visible until 1897.
The site of the chapel is on a low knoll and is now under the plough; no traces exist.
Visited by OS (E G C) 25 April 1962.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: ISSFC. 1902. 'The Culloden section of the Aviemore line', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 5 1895-9, p.180-53. Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club. 180-53. 184.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 23, No. 173.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 31, 4.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7319 4643 (40m by 40m)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14254 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.