MHG2895 - Daviot Parish Church
The present church at Daviot, built 1826, reportedly stands on the site of an earlier church.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
NH73NW 1 7236 3942.
(NH 7235 3944) Church (NR) (Site of)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1906)
The Church and manse of Daviot were built in 1763-4
OSA 1795. <1>
"This is the site of the old church erected about the period of the Reformation, and taken down at the date of the erection of the present church - 1826. It was a very plain building"
Name Book 1871. <2>
NH 7235 3942 No trace remains of the old church of Daviot, the present church bears the date 1826.
Visited by OS (W D J) 28 August 1963.
Dated 1826. Rectangular harled church, with tooled ashlar margins and dressings. Tooled and polished ashlar tower at
west gable. <3>
Highland Council Archaeology Unit, HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 19, 384 (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG24432.
Highland Council Archaeology Unit, HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 9, 192 (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG24260.
<1> Sir John Sinclair (ed.), 1791-9, The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes, Vol. 14, 70 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2606.
<2> Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 20, 9 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3351.
<3> Historic Scotland, Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance), HB Number 1700 (Dataset). SHG24041.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 9. Colour slide. . Digital (scanned). 192.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 19. Colour slide. . Digital (scanned). 384.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. Vol. 14, 70.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 20, 9.
- <3> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB Number 1700.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7234 3944 (16m by 17m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DAVIOT AND DUNLICHITY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:1700 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB1700 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14105 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.