MHG28986 - Hut circle - Ben Meabost (2)
A hut circle at Ben Meabost, Skye.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A hut circle at Ben Meabost, Skye.
A hut circle at Ben Meabost (9d), Skye first recorded and photographed by M Wildgoose and S Birch in 1997 during a survey on the Strathaird Estate for the John Muir Trust. <1> <2>
The hut circle was re-surveyed by M and J Wildgoose in 1999. Ben Meabost 2 (89): A circular earth and stone bank 1.2m thick and 0.4m high once faced on both sides with boulders and laid stonework, surrounding an interior which measures 4.5m in diameter. It lies on a natural terrace on the lower, north flank of Ben Meabost and overlooks a small, fast flowing, burn. A well preserved entrance faces down the slope in a north-west direction where the wall expands to 2m in thickness. The interior is filled with dwarf willow and heather.
153410 817243 Ben Meabost 2 AM011: The hut circle was visited by A Welti in 2009 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross. This was part of a degree course overseen by Aberdeen University. This site is 89/9d in JMT archaeological survey 1998 (M Wildgoose and S Birch). This circular stone structure lies on a natural terrace on the NW slopes of Ben Meabost, about 200m above a fast flowing stream. The JMT survey identified some outer facing stones. The stones at the entrance have slipped down the slope. Average internal diameter is 4.5m. No outer diameter could be measured. The double skinned walling is 1.2m thick, increasing to 2m at the clearly defined NW facing entrance.The wall has maximum height 0.5m.The entrance has width 1m and passage length is 2m, indicating extended terminals. AM012 (see MHG28985) and AM011 both overlook the shallow valley to NE where other HC's are strung along slightly lower contours. These two structures are 80m apart and they are approximately 1km from WAK001 (MHG57233). The site has deteriorated since JMT survey. <4> <5>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
GIS spatial data amended in 2018 to location as shown on 2010 APs. <6>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wildgoose, M.. 1998. An Archaeological Survey of the Strathaird Estate, Phase 1 & 2. Archaeological and Ancient Landscape Survey (AALS). 30/01/1998. Digital (scanned as PDF). Site 9d.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Wildgoose, M.. 1997. Hut circle at Ben Meabost. Colour Slide; Digital Image. Yes. Original & digital.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wildgoose, M.. 1999. A survey of Round Houses on the Strathaird, Torrin and Sconser Estates. Archaeological and Ancient Landscape Survey (AALS). Digital. Site 89.
- <4> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. AM011.
- <5> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. AM0011.
- <6> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2010. Getmapping aerial photography 2010. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 5340 1725 (12m by 12m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.