MHG2906 - Chambered Cairn, Cantraybruich
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- (Former Type) CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- KERB CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- None recorded
Stone Circle (NR) (Remains of)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1906)
Cantraybruich (? Clava-type): The site lies on the flat valley floor immediately beside the river. When seen by Fraser (1884) it had already been so much destroyed .. that only six large stones remained in situ. These boulders probably represent the W arc of the kerb of a cairn with a diameter of about 63ft. They are not contiguous and presumably an intervening stone has been removed from between each of them. The two southermost have now fallen, and one of them is broken. The heights of the stones vary from 2ft 3ins to 5ft 6ins.
W Jolly 1882; J Fraser 1884; A S Henshall 1963.
All that remains of this cairn, is the kerb as described above. In the corner of the field at NH 7785 4549, there are numerous large stones lying prone, which were removed from the cairn by the previous farmer of cantraybruich (Information from Mr Patterson, Cantraybruich Farm, near Culloden).
Revied at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (N K B) 12 August 1964.
- --- SHG1317 Text/Publication/Article: Jolly, W. 1882. On cup-marked stones in the neighbourhood of Inverness; with an appendix on cup-marked stones in the Western Islands. Proc Soc Antiq Scot Volume 16. 300-401. 352.
- --- SHG2673 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 8, No. 9.
- --- SHG357 Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 367, INV 15; plan.
- --- SHG537 Text/Publication/Article: Fraser, J. 1884. 'Descriptive notes on the stone circles of Strathnairn and neighbourhood of Inverness', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 18 1883-4, p.328-62. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 328-62. 350; plan.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7781 4594 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||CROY AND DALCROSS|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14151 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.