MHG2908 - Cist w burial & beads, Morayston Farm
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CIST (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- BURIAL (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
NH74NE 2 75 49.
Two stone cists were found on the farm of Moraytown, in the parish of Dalcross, Inverness, on the 19th and the 21st of June 1899.
Both cists were short, about 4 feet 3 inches by 2 feet 2 inches and each contained a doubled-up skeleton. One of them also contained three small flat jet beads. The skull from the grave is now in Inverness museum (Morayston is actually in the parish of Petty)
T Wallace 1900; 1921.
There is a skull in the Inverness Museum which comes from a 'pre-historic grave' in the parish of Petty. It was presented by Thomas Wallace.
T Wallace 1917.
This skull is in the Inverness Museum; but no siting information was encountered. The exhibition card in the museum would seem to suggest that this is the same skull as referred to by Wallace (1900; 1917; 1920) Enquiries at Morayston failed to establish the precise site of these finds; but the farmer said that it was local knowledge that cists had been found at Tom na Croiche (NH74NE 1) so it is possible that that site produced cists in 1899 as well as in 1860.
Visited by OS (J L D) 23 March 1962.
Human remains from the site are listed under Acc. No. 1978.039 in the Inverness Museum Catalogue. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Wallace, T. 1921. 'Notes on the parish of Petty', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 8 1912-18, p.155-74. Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club. 155-74. 158.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Wallace, T. 1900. 'Archaeological notes from Moraytown, Dalcross, Inverness-shire', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 34 1899-1900, p.215-7. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 215-7. 215.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 14, No. 76.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Wallace, T. 1917. Guide to Inverness Museum. 27.
- <1> Collection/Catalogue: Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Inverness Museum & Art Gallery Accession registers. 1978.039.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7500 4899 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
- BEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14155 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.