MHG2911 - Possible Ring Cairn - Cantraybruich
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- (Former Type) CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- RING CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
No. 18. This Stone Circle (?Clava-type cairn) (Henshall 1963) which was removed completely many years ago was in the middle of the field adjoining No. 17 (NH74NE 16) in a spot called Croit-an-t-Sagairt - the Priest's Croft.
J Fraser 1884; A S Henshall 1963.
There is no surface indications of this stone circle or clava-type cairn in the field and the stone circle or clava-type cairn in the field and the farmer at Cantraybruich cannot recall one being here.
Visited by OS (N K B) 12 August 1964.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 8, No. 10.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 367, INV 18.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Fraser, J. 1884. 'Descriptive notes on the stone circles of Strathnairn and neighbourhood of Inverness', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 18 1883-4, p.328-62. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 328-62. 329, 350, 361.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7779 4590 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||CROY AND DALCROSS|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14158 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.