MHG2925 - Barrow Cemetery - Kerrowaird
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BARROW CEMETERY (Early Iron Age to Pictish - 550 BC? to 900 AD?)
Crop-marks showing the ditches of what may be a square barrow and a circular barrow have been recorded 180m ENE of Kerrowaird farmhouse. The square barrow measures about 10m square within a ditch which may be interrupted by causeways at the corners. Immediately to the SW there is what appears to be a circular barrow measuring about 8m in diameter within a narrow ditch. There are other possible barrows in an area of indeterminate crop-marks about 100 m to the SSE.
RCAHMS 1979; Visible on RCAHMS air photograph IN 2653: flown 1976.
The site was scheduled by Historic Scotland in 1991.
The site is included in a broad discussion of Pictish cemeteries in Inverness-shire, Moray and Aberdeenshire. <1>
- --- SHG2672 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1978. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Nairn District, Highland Region. . 12, No. 50.
- <1> SHG29168 Text/Publication/Article: Mitchell, J. & Noble, G.. 2017. The Monumental Cemeteries of Northern Pictland. Medieval Archaeology Vol. 61/1. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7641 4972 (390m by 353m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM6017 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14174 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
- https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00766097.2017.1296031 (View Pictish cemeteries article online)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.