MHG29304 - Farmstead and Field System - Allt na Beiste
A farmstead and field system identified from aerial photography.
Type and Period (2)
- FARMSTEAD (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Created automatically by NMRS Register Utility
User: Admin, Date: Wed 13 Oct 2004
NG61SE 36 centred on NG 69349 10874
This site was originally entered with the incorrect grid reference of NG 683 113.
Aerial photographs suggest that a small farmstead surrounded by an extensive field system lies in an area of grassy, but bracken infested ground at NG 69349 10874. A substantial building measuring c30m x c10m over widely spread turf banks lies at the centre of the site. It is aligned approximately E-W and its N wall appears to have been incorporated into a rectangular enclosure to the N, which measures c90m x c60m.
Part of this site was recorded during a pre-afforestation survey by Headland Archaeology in March 1998. The Headland survey treated this site as part of farmstead MHG28667, which lies c230m to the NNW. They are, however, clearly two separate farmsteads.
Information from Ishbel MacKinnon, August 2011. <1>
This site does not appear on the 1st or 2nd edition OS maps.
- --- Text/Report: Carter S & Dalland M. 1998. Beinn an Dubh Leathaid, Skye, WGS FCC 2718/3582. Headland Archaeology Ltd. . . Site no. 9.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 6930 1090 (120m by 120m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/140127/beinn-an-duibh-leathaid (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.