MHG2933 - Motte, Cantraydoune
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- MOTTE (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1906)
An artificial mound of clay, some 60 to 70ft high and about 200 yards in circumference at base (17 yards circumference on top). It is surrounded on three sides by a low stone wall, and on E by the Burn of Cantraydoune. Name Book 1870.
A large earthen mound about 16m high, surrounded by a partially ruined retaining wall, maximum height 1.2m, which is of latter date. Mr Meldrum considers it to be a motte. (Mr E Meldrum, County Architect's office, Inverness) Earthworks surveyed at 1:2500.
Visited by OS (N K B) 14 August 1964.
This sandy mound, which rises about 16m above the face of the natural slope, is probably a motte. No features are visible on the uneven summit or on the flattened area that projects from the N side. A deep groove in the E side may be an old excavation trench. The mound, which has been cleared of trees, is now grass-covered and surrounded by an enclousure wall, apparently of no great age.
RCAHMS 1978; ISSFC 1885; G G Simpson and B Webster 1972.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Yeoman, P A. 1988. 'Mottes in Northeast Scotland', Scot Archaeol Rev Vol. 5 1988, p.125-33. Scot Archaeol Rev. 125-33. 131, no. 75.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Motte, Cantraydoune.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Motte, Cantrydoune, Strathnairn.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 7. Colour slide. . Digital (scanned). 137-8,142.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1978. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Nairn District, Highland Region. . 18, No. 130.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 5, 3.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Simpson and Webster, G G and B. 1972. 'Charter evidence and the distribution of mottes in Scotland', Chateau Gaillard Vol. 5 1972, p.175-92. Chateau Gaillard. 175-92. 183, No. 186.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: ISSFC. 1885. 'Excursions to Strathnairn', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 1 1875-80, p.27-36. Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club. 27-36. 30.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7888 4609 (80m by 90m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||CROY AND DALCROSS|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM3189 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14190 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.