MHG2934 - Enclosure, Newton
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- ENCLOSURE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- PALISADED ENCLOSURE (Early Bronze Age to Pictish - 2400 BC to 900 AD)
Air photography has revealed the crop-mark of an enclosure 1km NE of Balmachree farmhouse. It measures about 20m in diameter within a narrow ditch.
RCAHMS 1979; Visible on RCAHMS air photographs IN 2652, IN 3101-3: flown 1976 and 1977.
- --- SHG2673 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 22, No. 164.
- --- SHG5019 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG5020 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: B/W Negative. .
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7448 4829 (60m by 60m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM5298 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14217 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.