MHG29414 - MD Finds - Castletown, Avoch
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- None recorded
Object- Silver seal with cross 'handle'. Seal design of ?three keys or ?thistles. Height : c23mm. Width : c15mm.
Date of find - c12th October 1997. Found by metal detecting, north of Ormond Castle, Avoch. IMAG Entry No: 1229.
J Aitken : 03/01/01.
NH 696 537 A medieval silver seal, with cross-shaped handle, was discovered through metal detecting. It is 23mm high and 15mm wide, with a design on the base of three keys encircled by an indecipherable inscription. <1>
The medieval silver seal was submitted to Treasure Trove (TT 82/02) in 2002 and allocated to Groam House Museum. <2> Inverness Museum archive files include documentation of the submission of this find to Treasure Trove. <3>
Further finds from near Ormond Castle, Avoch were submitted to Treasure Trove (TT 142/99) and allocated to Groam House Museum. These comprised a rivetted bronze sheet, a heraldic pendant with hanger intact, toy lead anchor and a complete Luckenbooth brooch and are listed under Acc. No. ROMGH-2002-1, 2002-2, 2002-3, 2002-4. See attached TT summary sheet. <2> <4> <5>
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Weeks, P & Welch, R. 1998. 'Castleton (Avoch parish), medieval silver seal', Discovery Excav Scot, 1998. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 48. Online. pp. 48.
- <2> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 82/02, TT 142/99.
- <3> Collection: Inverness Museum. 2019. Inverness Museum and Art Gallery Archive Files. TT 82/02.
- <4> Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 142/99.
- <5> Text/Record Form/Project Recording Form: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Finds Collection at Groam House Museum. ROMGH-2002-1, 2002-2, 2002-3, 2002-4.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6960 5369 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- BROOCH (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- MINIATURE OBJECT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- HARNESS PENDANT (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- SEAL (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/142573 (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.