MHG29444 - Possible fort, Bogallan
Circular marks visible on aerial photographs, interpreted by RCAHMS as a fort, but which may relate to post-medieval drainage features.
Type and Period (2)
- FORT? (Unknown date)
- (Alternate Type) DRAINAGE DITCH (19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Aerial Photography (RAF106/UK/751 frame nos. 5016-7, 31 August 1945.) has revealed the cropmarks of a possible fort lying immediately N of the crest of the ridge overlooking the straightened course of the Littlemill Burn about 230m to the NW. The cropmarks reveal an arc of ditch curving from N, to E, with traces of a substantial internal bank; suggesting a combined width of about 20m.
Information from the RCAHMS (PM) 19/07/99. <1>
A member of the public who lives in the area advises that the circular marks referred to above are the remains of the original drainage ditch, now infilled and which has been replaced by a straightened stone culvert. There is a very large piece of conglomerate rock (5 tonnes?) which is lying nearby and almost certainly was the cause of the bend in the ditch. This 'crescent' shaped portion of ditch is shown on both the original 19th-century Ordnance Survey 25 inch map and the 2nd edition. The correspondent has known of this feature for nearly 30 years. Strictly speaking this land lies within an area of land known as Allanglach Wood and not in Bogallan. <2><3>
The reference to the 2nd edition map could not be confirmed. <4>
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
- <2> Text/Correspondence: Private individual. 2008-11. Feedback from website visitor. Yes. Digital. Tony Morey, 31/08/2008.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-76. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <4> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6366 5109 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/147828 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.