MHG29447 - Culloden Wood
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
The structure is located in a commercial plantation of Douglas Fir trees planted in 1944. A hut-circle was discovered and reported by J. Christison. The hut-circle survives to a height of 1m at the N end, 0.3m in the E and 0.5 in the W. It is sub-circular, with an external diameter of 15m (E to W), and 16.5m externally N to S. It is 9m internally, both N-S and E-W. It is situated on Forest Enterprise land.
The site is in good condition, stable, intact and quite well preserved and does not seem to be under immediate threat, though there is some erosion, recent digging and the risk of damage from tree roots.
Two pits are associated with the site, the first is in the centre of the structure to the N edge, and is 1m in diam. and 0.4m deep. The other pit is on the outside of the ridge to the SW, is 4.5m in diam. and about 0.8m deep. Also a possible clearance cairn near the hut-circle.
See Assoc. Docs. File.
J Aitken : 23/01/01.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7231 4550 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/BTL6 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.