MHG2948 - Ring Cairn, Cullearnie

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • RING CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)

Protected Status

Full Description

Stone Circle (NR) (Remains of)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)

Cullearnie (Culloden Tile Works): (Ring Cairn)
This structure has been greatly disturbed and robbed. However, part of a typical peristalith remains, fairly complete on the north and NW sides. It is built of boulders of considerable size set close together and ranging from 2ft 3ins to 2ft 9ins in height. Only one stone seems to be in place on the south side and two on the SE. Various other stones have fallen forwards from their original positions. The cairn seems to have been oval in plan, about 34ft N-S by 40ft E - W. There are a great number of boulders lying about the site, some split by blasting, and it is not easy to distinguish the stones that are in situ and those which have been moved, perhaps for the foundation of a building which once stood here. A certain amount of turf-covered cairn material remains inside the kerb and round the base of the monolith.
A single stone 4ft 6ins high stands about 13ft outside the position of the kerb on the NE side, and another slab lies to the east of the cairn. These stones are probably survivors of the circle of monoliths. The standing stone has been joined to the kerb by a line of boulders, the foundation of a secondary wall.
Close to the site on the NE, Anderson (1831) records another cairn, thought not to have been opened. It was bounded by a kerb "15 paces" in diameter, and said to have been surrounded by a ditch, but apparently without a monolithic circle. No signs of this monument remain.
G Anderson 1831; ISSFC 1885; A S Henshall 1963.

The feature is as described by Henshall (1963) (in the original typescript). The cairn, oval in shape, measured 13.4m NE - SW by 11.2m NW-SE.
Visited by OS (E G C) 25 April 1962.

An air photograph, taken by Jill Harden in 1989, is in Inverness Museum (8901.33 INVMG).
Information from J Harden 1989.


Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph). SHG5018.


Anderson, G, 1831, 'On some of the stone circles and cairns in the neighbourhood of Inverness', Archaeol Scot Vol. 3 1831, p.211-22, 216 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1320.


ISSFC, 1885, 'Raigmore and Petty {excursion to}', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 1 1875-80, p.251-6, 253 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1382.


Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 372, INV 23 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.


Burl, {H} A {W}, 1973, 'Stone circles and ring-cairns', Scot Archaeol Forum Vol. 4 1972, p.31-47, 36, 47 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1544.


Burl, {H} A {W}, 1976, The stone circles of the British Isles, 162, 359 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2004.


RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region, 8, No. 16; 10, No. 36 (Text/Report). SHG2673.

Sources/Archives (7)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 7250 4770 (65m by 65m)
Map sheet NH74NW
Civil Parish INVERNESS AND BONA
Geographical Area INVERNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.