MHG2950 - BA Flat Axeheads, Culloden
Two Bronze Age flat axes from Culloden.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A type Ba and a type Bb flat bronze axe from Culloden are in the National Museum of Wales.
J M Coles 1971.
(123. Flat axe of Migdale type). Single find. Flat axe, brown patina, good condition. Length 145mm, butt 35mm, cutting edge 95mm, weight 573 gms.
(215. Flat axe; Biggar variant of Migdale type). Single find. Flat axe, green, good condition. Length 136mm, butt 30mm, cutting edge 69mm, weight 308 gms.
Both these axes are held in Powysland Museum, Welshpool, Coles being incorrect in citing their location as the National Museum of Wales.
P K Schmidt and C B Burgess 1981.
These axeheads were catalogued and photographed as part of the North Kessock & District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. They were assigned Early Bronze Age dates. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1971. 'Scottish Early Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 101 1968-9, p.1-110. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 1-110. 82.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Schmidt and Burgess, P K and C B. 1981. 'The axes of Scotland and Northern England', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 9. Prahistorische Bronzefunde. 40, no. 123 and 47, no. 215.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. No. 19-20.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7300 4499 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14251 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.