MHG2960 - Cup Marked Stone, Allt Ruadh
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CUP MARKED STONE (Undated)
- None recorded
Centred 765 450.
A cup-marked stone is embedded in the NE bank of the Allt Ruadh at the ford, between the farms of Clava and Dalroy.
It is of local yellow-sandstone 2 ft long by 1 1/2 ft broad containing at least 18 distinct cups of which the best is 4 ins across and 1/4 in deep.
W Jolly 1882.
The 'ford' mentioned by Jolly could not be found, but here are several stretches of the Allt Ruadh, where it joins the River Nairn, where a ford would be possible. Despite an extensive search of both banks of the stream and river no trace of the cup marked stone could be found. Visited by OS (R B) 21 August 1964.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7649 3999 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||CROY AND DALCROSS|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14265 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.