MHG2963 - Cup Marked Stone, Welltown
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CUP MARKED STONE (Undated)
- None recorded
A cupmarked stone, measuring 22 x 17 ins, which, in 1881, was built into the upper right side of the chimney recess at Balanfhuarain or Welltown, was, by 1893, built into the garden wall at the front of the house. It is only a part of a larger stone and has been squared by the mason. There are thirteen cups on the stone.
W Jolly 1882; G Bain 1893.
NH 7565 4435. This stone was located in the garden wall at Balnuarin facing towards the farmhouse.
Surveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (W D J) 25 April 1962.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Jolly, W. 1882. On cup-marked stones in the neighbourhood of Inverness; with an appendix on cup-marked stones in the Western Islands. Proc Soc Antiq Scot Volume 16. 300-401. 334-5; fig. 36.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Bain, G. 1893. History of Nairnshire. 2nd ed.. 15.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 15, No. 84.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7565 4435 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||CROY AND DALCROSS|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14261 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.