MHG2969 - Stone Circle - Achnuallan
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- STONE CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 551 BC)
- BURIAL CAIRN? (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A 'Druid Circle' possibly a Clava Cairn, was removed from 'Achnuallan', Ardersier, before 1845. (1).
A stone circle at Achnuallan in Ardersier parish, has been removed many years ago (NSA 1845).
NSA 1845; C Maclagan 1875.
There is no local knowledge of any placed called "Achnuallan". (Ardersier parish - centred NH 79 56).
Visited by OS (R D) 16 August 1964.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Maclagan, C. 1875. The hill forts, stone circles and other structural remains of ancient Scotland.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Matheson J. 1845. New Statistical Account. 14: p470.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Soc. Ant. Scot. 1978.. 7, No. 3/over.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7500 5500 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14315 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.