MHG2974 - Burial cairn and possible stone circle - Culchunaig
No summary available.
Type and Period (3)
- STONE CIRCLE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN? (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2401 BC?)
- RING CAIRN? (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2401 BC?)
Stone Circle (NR) (Remains of)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1906)
The stones appear to be the last remains of a denuded cairn with a diameter of 60 to 70 feet. There are two large boulders 21 feet 6 inches apart on its south edge, probably the remains of a kerb. On the north and north-east are a few small earthfast stones which might represent more of the kerb setting.
Twenty feet to the south-west between these two slabs is another upright stone 5 feet 10 inches high. This stone might well be the last survivor of a circle of monoliths set round a cairn of Clava type.
The site is listed by Fraser (1884) but was already in its present state for the OS 6"map, 1st ed., (1871) marks three dots at the edge of a stippled area (agreeing with the features which can be seen at present.) J Fraser 1884; A S Henshall 1963, visited 9 April 1957.
The remains of this cairn are as described above.
Visited by OS (W D J) 25 April 1962.
A bit of a jumble of stones, some original, many removed and others added as field clearance. Low kerb evident on NE side, large kerb stones isolated on SW side? One very large standing stone 8.4m to SW of largest kerb stone in cairn. Scatter of stones seems to have incorporated it into the cairn over time. Dimensions approx. 19.2m diam. N/S and 19m? E/W directions, edges are hard to define. Cross scratch marks on a large stone on the east adge are worth a look. Farmer uses it as a sheep feeding station. There are large stones in the remains of the dyke 250m to the south.
See assoc. docs. File for SMR No. NH74SW0062.
Fraser, J, 1884, 'Descriptive notes on the stone circles of Strathnairn and neighbourhood of Inverness', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 18 1883-4, p.328-62, 350 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG537.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 371, INV 20 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region, 8, No. 13 (Text/Report). SHG2673.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 8, No. 13.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 371, INV 20.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Fraser, J. 1884. 'Descriptive notes on the stone circles of Strathnairn and neighbourhood of Inverness', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 18 1883-4, p.328-62. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 328-62. 350.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7420 4418 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DAVIOT AND DUNLICHITY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:3070 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM3070 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14310 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.