MHG29775 - Drill Hall, Dunrobin St, Helmsdale
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- DRILL HALL (In use, 19th Century - 1890 AD to 1890 AD (circa))
- HOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1814 AD to 1874 AD (between))
- None recorded
Drill Hall and linked House, now up for sale. Photo (Exterior) dated ???. On 2nd ed OS as Drill Hall <1>.
The 2nd edition 25" OS map annotates the building as 'Drill Hall' <2>. Map evidence would suggest that the Drill Hall moved premises between 1874 and 1905 from Shore Street (see MHG59717, building, no longer extant, located c.302851 915216, annotated on 1st ed as "Volunteer Drill Hall" <3> and on 2nd ed as "Fisherman's Welcome") to Dunrobin Street. The gabeletted dormer on the hall side of the building bares a date stone of "1890", presumably the date the building was modified to accommodate the Drill Hall. The stone lintel above the main entranceway has "Artillery Hall" carved onto it <4>.
Recorded as part of HS and RCAHMS' World War One Audit Project in 2013. This building has a front block with half-dormered windows. The ground floor has two doors set between three windows. In the western portion the lower storey windows and door are matched by three windows above. In the eastern portion the door (with inscription 'Artillery Hall' above) and window have a single dormer above (with date of 1890), with crowsteps. The hall runs behind. Both front block and hall survive, as dwellings.
In 1914 the hall was drill station for "F" Squadron, 2nd Lovat's Scouts and drill station for "D" Company, 5th battalion, Seaforth Highlanders. <5> <6> <7>
GIS spatial data created 2019 based on OS Master Map. <8>
- --- SHG28008 Text/Publication/Volume: Osbourne, M. 2006. Always Ready: Drill Halls of Britain's Volunteer Forces. pp. 280.
- <1> SHG23635 Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist. 11/2002.
- <2> SHG24159 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1905. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Sutherland (surveyed 1903 to 1905).
- <3> SHG23885 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-4. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Sutherland (surveyed 1868-73).
- <4> SHG23286 Verbal Communication: Puls, A. Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist.
- <5> SHG23282 Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 331780.
- <6> SHG27124 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp. 66, table 46.
- <7> SHG28062 Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 429.
- <8> SHG23361 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0288 1529 (31m by 29m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331780/helmsdale-dunrobin-street-drill-hall (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.