MHG29783 - Graveyard - Kincardine Church
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BURIAL GROUND (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
The graveyard of Kincardine Church.
(NH 9384 1552) Church (NAT), Graveyard (NAT)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)
Kincardine Church, called 'Eaglais Thomhaldaidh' by the older people dates from pre-Reformation times, the S wall features a lancet window said to be a 'leper squint'.
J M Mathieson 1953.
According to a framed notice inside the door to the church, the first Christian Church here was Celtic, probably founded by missionaries from Iona in the 7th century. The foundations of the present building are of the 12th century. The slit window on the S side (a leper blink) shows that the existing walls were built before the reformation. Towards the end of the 15th century, the church was partly destroyed by fire. Outside the church door is a hollowed granite block, probably once used as a font. The church is still in use, and shows evidence of recent repair.
Visited by OS (R L) 4 November 1966.
'Speyside Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855 Monumental inscription survey completed by Alison Mitchell. The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuraciesmay be encountered. First published 1975, reprinted 1992. Survey undertaken between 1970-1974.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
J Aitken : 10/12/02
- --- SHG1355 Text/Publication/Article: Mathieson, J M. 1953. 'Place-names of Strathspey: Abernethy, Kincardine', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness Vol. 41 1951-2, p.219-41. Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness. 219-41. 221.
- --- SHG2161 Text/Publication/Volume: Edited by Alison Mitchell. 1992. Speyside Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855. 2nd.
- --- SHG2414 Text/Publication/Volume: Leonella Longmore. 2000. Land of Churches.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9384 1551 (52m by 51m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||ABERNETHY AND KINCARDINE|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB545 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/266929 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.