MHG4476 - Kincardine Church

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (2)

  • CHURCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
  • MORT SAFE (18th Century to 19th Century - 1701 AD? to 1900 AD?)

Protected Status

Full Description

Kincardine Church. The cemetery preserves a mortsafe, one of only a few in the Highlands.

Kincardine Church, called 'Eaglais Thomhaldaidh' by the older people dates from pre-Reformation times, the S wall features a lancet window said to be a 'leper squint'.
J M Mathieson 1953.

NH91NW 10 9384 1552.
Church (NAT), Graveyard (NAT)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)

According to a framed notice inside the door to the church, the first Christian Church here was Celtic, probably founded by missionaries from Iona in the 7th century. The foundations of the present building are of the 12th century. The slit window on the S side (a leper blink) shows that the existing walls were built before the reformation. Towards the end of the 15th century, the church was partly destroyed by fire. Outside the church door is a hollowed granite block, probably once used as a font. The church is still in use, and shows evidence of recent repair.
Visited by OS (R L) 4 November 1966.

Access Audit 237 - HAW 11/2003

Martin Briscoe submitted photographs of this church in February 2011. <1>

See also:
NH91NW0093 Graveyard
J Aitken : 10/12/02

Sources/Archives (3)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 9383 1552 (21m by 17m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH91NW
Civil Parish ABERNETHY AND KINCARDINE
Geographical Area BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.