MHG29784 - Duthil Old Parish Church and Burial Ground
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
NH92SW0012 Seafield Mausoleum
J Aitken : 10/12/02
'Speyside Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by Alison Mitchell. The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuraciesmay be encountered. First published 1975, reprinted 1992. Survey undertaken between 1970-1974.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
NH92SW 6.00 9352 2430.
NH92SW 6.01 NH 935 243 Mausoleum (Seafield Mausoleum)
(NH 9352 2430) Church (NAT) On Site of St. Peter's Chapel (NR)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)
The church at Duthil was one of the few old Popish chapels which survived the Reformation (Anderson and Anderson 1834). It was, however, pulled down in about 1840 and the present building erected on its side. Nothing is known of its date (ONB 1871).
G Anderson and P Anderson 1834; Name Book 1871.
In c 1400 AD a church was built at Duthil (OSA 1793). It was dedicated to St. Peter. The present parish church was built in c 1826.
The Grants of Castle Grant have had their burial place here since c 1585.
Mainly as described, the present church has been disused since c 1961.
- --- SHG1890 Text/Publication/Volume: Anderson and Anderson, G and P. 1842. Guide to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland including Orkney and Zetland. new ed.. 147.
- --- SHG1904 Text/Publication/Volume: Anon. c1920. Carrbridge Strathspey history and guide.
- --- SHG2161 Text/Publication/Volume: Edited by Alison Mitchell. 1992. Speyside Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855. 2nd.
- --- SHG2414 Text/Publication/Volume: Leonella Longmore. 2000. Land of Churches.
- --- SHG3356 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 25, 10.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9353 2432 (200m by 200m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DUTHIL AND ROTHIEMURCHUS|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB246 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.