MHG2987 - Prince Charlie's Stone
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- STONE (Undated)
- HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION (18th Century - 1746 AD to 1746 AD)
Prince Charlie's Stone [NAT] (at NH 7376 4438)
OS 1:2500 map, 1964.
In a grass field at approx. NH 7376 4438 is a rough round shaped boulder c. 1.3m long by 1.0m wide by c.0.6m. It is believed that Prince Charlie stood on this stone for a time watching the battle of Culloden and is therefore called 'Prince Charlie's Stone'.
Visited by OS (W D J) 25 April 1962; Information from Mr N MacDonald, Warden, National Trust for Scotland, Culloden.
The boulder was removed to Culloden House where it was displayed for many years until the 1897 sale. In 1972 it was presented to the National Trust for Scotland and is now in the Battlefield Museum.
The stone was formerly Scheduled under the reference 970 'Culloden Battlefield, Prince Charlie's Stone' in c.1985 Descheduing date unknown.
For Culloden Moor, Battlefield (centred NH 742 450), see NH74NW 17.00.
NGR is for original location.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7376 4437 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/BTL6 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.