MHG2998 - Cup Marked Stone, Clava Bridge
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CUP MARKED STONE (Undated)
- None recorded
There is a cup-marked stone lying flat on the ground, a little of the east of the bridge over the Nairn at Clava on the road from Culloden Muir to Leanach and Clava, on the waste moorland which stretches to the right hand there, still unreclaimed.
It is a block of grey granite 8 feet long, from 3 to 4 feet broad at the base, narrowing in breadth to 1 foot 3 inches at the top, and 2 feet 1 inch thick.
There are five cups along its top. One of them shows traces of an encircling ring, now greatly obliterated, with two smaller cups at the ends of its more distinct portion on the right.
W Jolly 1882.
No trace of this stone was found during field investigation and local enquiries proved negative.
Visited by OS (W D J) 24 June 1962.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7593 4483 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||CROY AND DALCROSS|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14284 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.