MHG300 - Bloomery, Lochan Na Ceardaich
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- BLOOMERY (Undated)
- (Alternate Type) BRONZE WORKING SITE (Undated)
- None recorded
A small bloomery was revealed by forest ploughing. From adjoining furrows came four sherds of pottery, several flint flakes, iron nails and part of a crucible with bronze slag adhering.
Find in NMAS.
J Kirby 1983.
The NMS catalogue lists finds from Achnanellan, discovered during forestry ploughing near the bloomery site, which are likely to be those from this site. These comprise fragment of bloomery slag (HR 1603), crucibles (HR 1604-05), flint flakes (HR 1606, 1609, 1610, 1614) and furnace lining (HR 1615). They were gifted to the NMS in 1978. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Kirby, J. 1983. 'Lochan na Cairdaich (Ardnamurchan p) bloomery, sherds, flints, crucible', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1983, p.13. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 13. 13.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1981. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 110 1978-80, p.535-544. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 535-544. 540.
- <1> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. HR 1603, HR 1604, HR 1605, HR1606, HR 1609, HR 1609, HR 1610 HR 1614, HR 1615.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 7549 6790 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
- CRUCIBLE (Undated)
- SLAG (Undated)
- NAIL (Undated)
- FLAKE (Undated)
- METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Undated)
- VESSEL (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/22691 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.