MHG3014 - Balnabual
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
NH74NE 9 7798 4899.
(NH 7798 4899) Stone Circle (NR) (Remains of)
OS 6" map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1906)
One stone about 3ft 6ins, high and inclining in a westerly direction about 30 degress.
Name Book 1869.
Balnabual (? Clava-type) is noted in Fraser's (Fraser 1884) list of 'Clava-type' cairns as fragmentary. All that could be found in a single stone 4ft long lying at the edge of a field.
(Fraser's list is of stone circles and he has no evidence that this single stone was ever part of a stone circle of cairn. Henshall, therefore, has no evidence that this was a possible Clava-type cairn.)
A S Henshall 1963, visited 15 April 1957; J Fraser 1884.
This stone is at NH 7798 4899 and no evidence could be found to associate this fallen stone with either a stone circle or Clava-type cairn.
Visited by OS (R D) 18 August 1964.
Removed about 1968.
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 18, 6 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3348.
Fraser, J, 1884, 'Descriptive notes on the stone circles of Strathnairn and neighbourhood of Inverness', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 18 1883-4, p.328-62, 361 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG537.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 361, INV 7 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region, 7, No. 4 (Text/Report). SHG2673.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 7, No. 4.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 18, 6.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 361, INV 7.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Fraser, J. 1884. 'Descriptive notes on the stone circles of Strathnairn and neighbourhood of Inverness', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 18 1883-4, p.328-62. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 328-62. 361.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7797 4899 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||CROY AND DALCROSS|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14192 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.