MHG30198 - Graveyard, Invershin
A burial ground containing memorials from the early 19th century to the present day.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (19th Century to 21st Century - 1801 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
'Sutherland Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by A.S.Cowper & I.Ross.
The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuracies. First published 1989, reprinted 1991, 1996 & 1999. <1>
Take A836 from Bonar Bridge - about a mile beyond Invershin Hotel close to Inveran and Beside stream are the old and new burial grounds clearly seen from the road. <1>
1st ed OS shows small irregular rectangular enclosure as "graveyard". <2>
A survey was carried out in August 2008 of the memorials in the older part of the graveyard. The graveyard was extended at some time between 1906 and 1968. The memorials date from the early 19th century to the modern day. There are in a variety of styles including headstones, rusticated, pedestal and tablestones. The vast majority are in good condition, only a few being damaged or broken. <3>
Some corrections to <3> were submitted in June 2009 by the descendants of Alexander McLeod (grave 44). In 2002, the inscription read
"Erected by William McLeod Kimachalmag…"
"Alexander McLeod who died 4th November 1871 aged 71 years
also of his mother
Margaret McLeod who died 9th July 1876 aged 71 years." <4>
- <1> SHG1858 Text/Publication/Monograph: A.S.Cowper & I.Ross. 1989. Sutherland Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855.
- <2> SHG23635 Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist.
- <3> SHG24018 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Farrell, S. 11/2008. Invershin Cemetery: A Survey of Its Memorials. Unaffiliated. 02/12/2008. Digital.
- <4> SHG22709 Text/Correspondence: Private individual. 2008-11. Feedback from website visitor. Yes. Digital. Marjorie Walker/Alfred Kruijshoop 21-06-2009.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 57533 97219 (49m by 41m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/300284/ (View information held by RCAHMS on Canmore website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.