MHG30231 - Battery, Kyle of Lochalsh
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- COASTAL BATTERY (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
- None recorded
Nothing could be found on this site. 2 x 15 Pdr. Guns on temporary platforms. J A Guy, 20th Century Defences, (report nos. 1, 8 & 11)
A M Fox, Highland Council, 18.10.01
The two guns were mounted on temporary platforms and examination of the RAF vertical air photographs ( F21 58 RAF 1143, 0211-0213, flown 23 June 1953) shows no evidence for this battery in the area NE of Kyle House (NG72NW 9.00).
Information from RCAHMS (DE), October 2004
A coast battery was established in 1917 to provide protection for the United States ships unloading mines at Kyle of Lochalsh, for onward transport by rail to the US Naval Base at Invergordon.
This battery apparently comprised two 15-pdr guns situated on a small point of land NE of Kyle House. Photographs of the contemporary 15-pdr battery at Corran Point (see MHG30335) suggest that the guns were positioned on holdfasts set into plain slabs of concrete, without any parapet. The battery was manned by Royal Marines.
Two brick huts are reported near to the possible location of the battery. It is unclear if there are associated with it or later activity at the site. Recorded during the HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project, 2013. <1> <2> <3>
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Guy, J. A.. 2000. Highland Region: A Survey of the 20th Century Defences. Historic Scotland. 30/01/2001. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 172669.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp 38-39, Table 16.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 533.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7454 2664 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/172669/kyle-of-lochalsh (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.