MHG3029 - Gollanfield Station
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- RAILWAY STATION (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
NH75SE 21 7985 5299
(Location cited as NH 762 504). Gollanfield Station, opened 1855 by the Inverness and Nairn Rly. Formerly a two-platform through station, only the platform faces and the single-storey, down (originally up-) platform building survive.
J R Hume 1977.
Opened (as Fort George Station) by the Inverness and Nairn Rly on 5 November 1855, being renamed Gollanfield Junction Station on 1 July 1899 and Gollanfield Station in March 1959. The station closed to regular passenger traffic on 3 May 1965, but the main line remains in use.
R V J Butt 1995.
This was the original station. In 1890 a new station was opened in Ardersier and was called Fort George Station while the original station was renamed Gollanfield Junction Station. When the Ardersier Station was closed Gollanfield Junction Station reverted back to being Fort George Station.
See also NH 75 SE 20, Ardersier, Fort George Station.
- --- SHG2009 Text/Publication/Volume: Butt, R V J. 1995. The directory of railway stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present. 99, 106.
- --- SHG2332 Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 212.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7984 5298 (19m by 10m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14418 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.