MHG3031 - Dalyards
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- RECTILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Undated)
At Dalyards, fragments of the ruins of a large building existed in the beginning of the 18th century and the building is supposed to have been either a religious house or fortalice belonging to the Knights-templar. Though now in a cultivated field, agricultural operations have not entirely obliterated traces of the surrounding fosse. Dalyards is shown, a little out of place, in Gordon of Straloch's Map of Moray, 1640 (but this gives no information)
Possibly mentioned in 1296 AD, the Templar's lands in Ardersier are definitely mentioned in Acts and Charters dated 1611, 1626 and 1661 AD. Orig Paroch Scot 1855.
"All traces of the building and fosse are now removed and General Wade's Military Road is supposed to have gone through a corner of it". Dalyards applies to a cultivated field.
Name Book 1870.
Double ditched rectangular enclosure.
Visible on J K St Joseph air photograph D 79; flown before 22 December 1950.
In a wheat field at NH 7861 5457 there is an L shaped, dark crop mark probably the trace of the ditches, of this double ditched rectangular enclosure. There is no trace of the ruined building mentioned by NSA (1845).
Surveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (R D) 18 August 1964.
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 8, 28 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3397.
NSA, 1845, The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy, Vol. 14, Inverness-shire, 470 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2597.
OPS, 1855, Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland, 594-5 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG342.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region, 23, No. 168 (Text/Report). SHG2673.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 14, Inverness-shire, 470.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 23, No. 168.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 8, 28.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. 594-5.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7871 5451 (220m by 284m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:5001 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM5001 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14416 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.