MHG30325 - Pillbox, Nigg Ferry
A concrete Second World War square pillbox.
Type and Period (1)
- PILLBOX (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- None recorded
Concrete WWII square pillbox. Nigg Pier was used for the submarine mine field. Torpedo tubes were also mounted on Nigg Pier. <1>
The location of this record was amended following feedback from a website user. <2>
This probably corresponds with a pillbox recorded in the CBA's Defence of Britain database (S0012404). The site was visited in 2000. <3>
Photographs were contributed by Martin Briscoe via the Highland HER Flickr group.<4>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Guy, J. A.. 2000. Highland Region: A Survey of the 20th Century Defences. Historic Scotland. 30/01/2001. Digital (scanned as PDF). Vol 2 p.192-3 & Vol 3 P43.
- <2> Text/Correspondence: Private individual. 2008-11. Feedback from website visitor. Yes. Digital. Martin Briscoe, 11-10-2009.
- <3> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Council for British Archaeology. 2006. Defence of Britain database. S0012404.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 79653 68754 (3m by 4m) (Centred)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/resources.html?dob (View CBA's Defence of Britain database on ADS website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.