MHG3041 - Crannog - Lochan Dinty
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CRANNOG? (Iron Age - 550 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
NH75SE 10 788 502
In 1863 Grigor noted what may have been a crannog at the E end of Lochan Dinty. He mentions 'vestiges of piles about a foot above the water'; these were said to be of no great age. No structures could be seen at the date of visit by RCAHMS.
J Grigor 1864; G Bain 1893; RCAHMS 1979; visited March 1978.
Visited by OS (RD) 14 August 1964 and (AA) 3 February 1971.
- --- SHG1283 Text/Publication/Article: Grigor, J. 1865. 'Notice of the remains of two ancient lake dwellings or crannoges, in the Loch of the Clans, on the estate of James Rose, of Kilravock, Esq., Nairnshire, with a plan', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 5 1862-4, p.116-9. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 116-9. 118-19.
- --- SHG1938 Text/Publication/Volume: Bain, G. 1893. History of Nairnshire. 2nd ed..
- --- SHG2673 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 18, No. 110.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7880 5020 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14407 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.