MHG3046 - Cumberland's Stone
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- STONE (Natural, Undated)
- HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION (18th Century - 1746 AD to 1746 AD)
NH74NW 17.01 7497 4526.
(NH 7497 4526) Cumberland's Stone (NAT)
OS 6" map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1906).
According to local tradition, the Cumberland Stone, near Culloden Moor, marks the spot where on the morning of the battle the "Butcher Duke" took breakfast. The huge conglomerate served the purpose of his table, and later in the day was used by him as a coign of vantage to survey the field. It measures 53 feet 6 inches in circumference and is 5 feet 3 inches in height.
Information from Aberdeen Journal, 1909, 2, 132-3 and The Scotsman, 27 April 1909.
On the top of the Cumberland Stone is the inscription 'Position of the Duke of Cumberland during the Battle of Culloden'.
Visited by OS (W D J) 24 April 1962.
Removed from list of scheduled ancient monuments, former number 965.
Information from Historic Scotland, 14 November 1996.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7496 4526 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||CROY AND DALCROSS|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/BTL6 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14202 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.