MHG3048 - BA Socketed Axehead - Culloden Muir
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A Late Bronze Age socketed axe has been found at Culloden.
W Henderson 1938.
"A bronze celt, of the most simple form, found on the moor at Culloden" was loaned by the Inverness Museum to the Museum of the Archaeological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland during their Annual Meeting, held in Edinburgh, July 1856.
Archaeol Inst Great Britain Ireland 1859.
This axe was not located. The only small socketed axe (4" long) in Inverness Museum, was presented by a Mrs Manners, Sunnybank in December 1932. Details of find are not available, and it is doubtful if it is the Culloden axe.
Visited by OS (J L D) 23 March 1962.
(Culloden variant of Gillespie type). Single find. Socketed axe, green patina, smooth surface, trimmed, haft ribs, cutting edge hammered. Length 80mm, mouth 28 x 31mm, cutting edge 64mm, weight 186 gms. British Museum (WG 1981).
P K Schmidt and C B Burgess 1981.
This axehead was catalogued as part of the North Kessock & District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. It was assigned a Late Bronze Age date. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Henderson, W. 1938. 'Scottish late Bronze Age axes and Swords', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 72 1937-8, p.150-77. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 150-77. 165.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1962. ''Scottish Late Bronze Age metalwork: typology, distributions and chronology'', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 93 1959-60, p.16-134. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 16-134. 69.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Archaeol Inst Great Britain Ireland. 1859. Catalogue of Antiquities, Works of Art and Historical Scottish Relics. 9.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Schmidt and Burgess, P K and C B. 1981. 'The axes of Scotland and Northern England', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 9. Prahistorische Bronzefunde. 196, no. 1148.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. No. 105.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7300 4499 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14200 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.